Danny joined Ingram Advocates as a partner on 1 June 2019. He is an Advocate of the Royal Court and has been practising in Jersey for nearly 20 years. Before joining Ingram Advocates, he was a partner at a top ten offshore law firm.
Danny leads the commercial litigation and insolvency practice at Ingram Advocates. He undertakes a wide range of commercial litigation matters but specialises in contentious trusts, professional negligence claims, claims against directors and fraud related claims. He also has experience in insolvency and regulatory matters both in a contentious and non-contentious context. He has significant advocacy experience having appeared in numerous noteworthy trials and cases in the Royal Court and the Court of Appeal. Danny is also regularly appointed by the Royal Court as a guardian ad litem to represent minor and unborn beneficiaries in the context of applications brought under the Trusts (Jersey) Law 1984.
In the latest edition of the Legal 500, Danny was ranked as a leading individual for dispute resolution in Jersey.
His recent cases and instructions have included the following:
- Advising court-appointed receivers in the context of high profile, cross-border litigation involving assets of significant value (circa EUR 50m). This included coordinating and project-managing litigation and legal teams across a number of jurisdictions.
- Defending a significant claim for breach of directors’ duties brought by a company against two individual directors in relation to foreign currency borrowing. The claim was settled at mediation on a confidential basis.
- Successfully defending the Jersey Evening Post at trial (and on appeal) in relation to a libel claim brought by two prominent local politicians.
- Acting for two companies in litigation with members of their former board of directors. The litigation involved claims for breach of directors’ duties and breach of fiduciary duty and is the leading Jersey case in this area.
- Defending a building surveying firm against a significant claim for negligence. The claim was settled before proceedings were issued.
- Acting for the settlor of two Jersey trusts in a family dispute. These proceedings include an application by a beneficiary to remove the trustee; blessing applications and a contested trial in relation to the ownership of a valuable asset.
- Advising and representing HMRC in relation to the provision to it of information and documentation obtained in Jersey in relation to the financial affairs of an individual. HMRC were successful in the Court of Appeal.
- Defending an architect against a multi-million pound professional negligence claim following a rockfall.
Danny was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2001 and to the Jersey Bar in 2004. He spent a year working in the Cayman Islands in 2008 and was admitted as an Attorney-at-Law. He is a member of the Jersey Law Society and the Association of Restructuring and Insolvency Experts (ARIES).